BVG features: The Corner Shop

Blog(s)Ville GisT got a chance to speak to the lovely Ms. Adiya, the brain behind The Corner Shop.  Enjoy!

Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Adiya and I'd like to think I'm a 'nice gal'. Yeah, i have my moments, but I'm generally optimistic and i love to have laughs, especially at myself. I love stories (read movies and novels hehe), art (especially with African themes), illustrations, dance (don't ask me to though cause I'd only shuffle), group discussions, classy fashion styles, and the color black. I try to remind myself that I only have this one life to live, so I should be happy and do what I want to do.

Why Did  You Start Blogging?:
For a while, I had been looking for a creative outlet. I thought of tailoring, but I can hardly sew on a button. Art? the only thing I can draw is a cube. Photography? Point and shoot is the extent of my genius and Photoshop makes my eyes cross. I've got definite plans to learn these though cause I believe once you've got the heart to like something and want to do it, you definitely can. Unfortunately, right now I'm too busy with my day job. (I'm an environmental and sustainable development consultant- see why I'm looking for a creative outlet? how boring does this sound? lol). So, since I don't mind writing one little bit, I decided to blog. And I've been loving it.

What is The Corner Shop about? 
The Corner Shop is a blog that is aimed at showcasing creative Nigerian businesses and entrepreneurs. It is about showing the world that Nigerians are imaginative, artistic, and committed to making a living through creative self expression. The blog also provides an avenue for just a little bit more online presence for each of these entrepreneurs.

 How Did You Come Up With the Idea for The Corner Shop:
I've got future plans to run a business support company. One of the four objectives of the company would be to showcase Nigerian businesses, notably in the form of a business listing. But the plans are big, and since there's a lot of yapping about starting small (good advice btw), I decided to give myself some practice right now and start a blog about businesses.

But as I thought about it, I realized I didn't really want to write about any business (really, how boring would it be to write about, say, a pharmacy? Bleh). I wanted to write about something I'm passionate about. And I'm passionate about all things artistic- from paintings, fashion, craft, magazines, to writing and surprising innovations. I can't exactly do these things, but I believe I've got a good eye for them. Besides, I couldn't identify a site that has a general listing of creative Nigerian businesses (none that I've found anyway). And eureka! The Corner Shop was born. Now I get to be awed and inspired by people with such imagination, talent, and passion. And to think I might never have heard about any of them if I hadn't started The Corner Shop. That would have sucked!

How can the people who would like to be featured on your site reach you?
I'm pretty easy to reach. If you're a Nigerian, you've got a creative product/idea that is originally designed, I would totally love to hear from you. In fact, I'm eagerly waiting like a little puppy. You can email me at thecornershopng@gmail.com, follow me (and send me a Direct Message) on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thecornershopng, or send me a facebook message- my profile is http://www.facebook.com/adiyaa


Visit The Corner Shop and be inspired. I love the site. There is a feature on there of a cake artist (what else can i call her) based in Abuja. Her cakes are nice. Plus many more interesting businesses are featured. Nigerian people are a creative bunch :)

Thanks Ms. Adiya and keep up the good work.

If you would like to be featured on BVG, send us an email at blogsvillegist@gmail.com